The Urban Writers is an equal opportunity employer.
Here at The Urban Writers, we have dedicated ourselves to establishing the ultimate online workspace culture. We're committed to mutual growth because we believe everyone has a role to play, no matter how big or small. Every individual who enters our community is a vital piece to the continued growth of our company.
This is a great opportunity to join a growing organization with a fantastic culture. The Urban Writers is looking for a person to join the Engineering Team as Full Stack Software Developer.
TUW provides high quality creative content and outstanding customer service to businesses and individuals looking to outsource their content needs. We are embarking on our next level up adventure and we need you on board! We are an online marketplace for those looking to work with creatives and we kick SaaS! Meaning we know what our industry needs and we are giving them the tools to achieve their goals and a whole lot more. We have a solid community of creatives and a passionate, engaged, and ever growing customer base.
You will be a Full Stack Software Developer responsible for green fields development of an exciting new platform that allows creative people to unlock their best. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, multi-tasker, and demonstrated team-player. You should excel in web technologies like React.js and backend frameworks such Ruby on Rails and have outstanding communication skills.
(Canadian/Full Time Permanent only) We offer benefits and a hybrid work environment out of our office in Oakville, ON.
Reporting to the Lead Software Architect, the Full Stack Software Developer will be required to perform the following duties and undertake the following responsibilities in a professional manner.
- Learning and understanding how The Urban Writers (TUW) Platform is used by team members and customers
- Becoming a subject matter expert for TUW’s Platform
- Support project-related activities
- Research, design, and implement solutions for ticket requests as assigned
- Assess and communicate the level of work in hours for each ticket assigned
- Provide PRs (pull requests) for approval before moving task to test stages
- Participate in testing and quality control
- Identify and suggest design and function improvement within the platform
- Design and implement new features
- Writing and implementing structured, efficient code
- Write, modify, review, optimize, implement, and debug code
- Communicating daily with the Engineering Team in Slack (consistent, constructive, supportive, and friendly communication is an important part of TUW’s culture)
- Tracking and reporting on daily hours spent on tickets and projects
- Review peer code and architecture to ensure compliance with Company development standards and industry best practices
- Work with a DevOps mindset with consideration for performance, optimization, refactoring, and data integrity
- Provide or grow into a position of technical leadership and advisor within the project team
- Other duties may arise from time to time and may be assigned to the employee.
- 1 to 2 years of Ruby on Rails experience
- 3 to 5 years of React.js experience
- A strong grasp of MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience in developing RESTful web APIs
- Data model design (relational)
- Experience with test automation/unit testing
- Experience with AWS services
- Redis, Python, and Frontend Frameworks (Vue.js, Angular.js, etc.)