Be a part of the future of work for everyone!
TUW provides an interactive and engaging platform to connect skilled freelance creatives with businesses and individuals looking to delocalize their content needs. We are an online marketplace and service collaboration platform for those looking to work with creatives and we kick SaaS! Meaning we know what our industry needs and we are providing the tools to achieve their goals and a whole lot more. We have a sensational community of creatives and a passionate, driven, and ever growing customer base.
Behind the scenes at The Urban Writers, we have dedicated ourselves to establishing the ultimate online workspace culture. We work remotely and if you are in the neighborhood, we welcome you to come work from our beautiful Oakville office. We're committed to mutual growth because we believe everyone has a role to play, no matter how big or small. Every individual who enters our community is a vital player in the continued growth and success of our company.
In this Part-Time Role, you will be responsible for all aspects of finance for the organization while working with third parties and internals to create a clear picture of our P&L, forecasting, etc. for our Co-owners. You should have outstanding communication and leadership skills. This role will likely expand to full time in the future.
To learn more about our company please visit www.theurbanwriters.com
Why you'll want to work with us:
- Fully remote with option for hybrid work environment and flexible schedules
- Happy Birthday Policy (you get your birthday off)
- Future option for 4-day work week schedule
- Calm App provided free to employees
- Paid vacation days, sick and wellness days
- Opportunity for advancement - we support your growth!
- Education reimbursement and internal training opportunities
- Beautiful office location, snacks and games room! Free parking
- Dental and Extended Health Benefits (Canada)
- We treat everyone with dignity and respect
How you'll help build the future
Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the Co-Founders, Natasha and Marco. Duties will include:
- Canadian Payroll and payroll related compliance
- Contractor payroll and best practices for out of country payroll
- Freelance payment process best practices
- Full cycle accounting
- Oversee accounts payable and receivable and provide monthly reports
- Full P&L finance accountability
- Balance sheet / income statement / cash flow, incl. monitoring actual performance against budget
- Supports the Founder(s) through fundraising processes with angel and/or institutional investors to ensure the business is sufficiently capitalized.
- Coordinating activities for grants management
- Strategic Planning
- Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
- Identifies and models the opportunities, risks, and costs associated with the business model and plan, and opportunity forecasting
- Review and interpret financial statements and operations to facilitate better upper management decision making.
- Pro-actively recommend and assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to process improvements of the company.
- Developing financial strategy, including risk minimization plans
- Improving efficiencies and reducing costs across the business
- Regulatory reporting, tax planning and compliance
- Oversee preparation of personal (T1), trust (T3) and corporate (T2) income tax returns
- Ensure compliance with local, provincial, and federal reporting requirements.
- Oversee accounting records and preparation of all monthly, quarterly, and yearly remittances, filings, obligations, etc. as may be required.
- Ensuring compliance with statutory law and financial regulations
What you bring to the role:
- Experience working with a start-up company is a bonus
- International Payroll best practices knowledge and experience
- 5 to 7 years of experience working as a financial controller
- CPA (CA, CMA, CGA) accreditation
- Patience and a sense of humor